It is so much fun to wake up in the morning and make your kids fun and cute smiley faced pancakes. But on Halloween won’t it be fun to surprise them with something icky, creepy, and seemingly gross looking??
Chicken pox pancakes are the perfect morning treat for your little ones. Made with blueberries and strawberry syrup along with a spot of butter for some gross puss makes this gross (yet yummy) meal breakfast!
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk or you could substitute cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (other berries or even cherries would would work fine)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add the buttermilk, eggs and melted butter.
Toss the blueberries with the remaining tablespoon of flour. Add to the batter, and let the batter rest 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat a griddle or electric skillet (compare prices)to 375 degrees F.
Pour about 1/3 cup of batter onto the griddle for each pancake.
Cook until bubbles appear on the top of the pancakes. Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown.
Pour a dash of strawberry or other red syrup over the pancakes and add a dollop of butter to create the creepy look and let the fun begin. Be sure to let the kids know that this gross Halloween breakfast might be creepy but it sure won’t make them itch!