This post may contain affiliate links. See affiliate disclosure here.
A dessert made to resemble dirt surely would peek anyone’s interest just a bit. This fun and easy Dirt Cake recipe is great for kids birthdays, spring celebrations, and of course as a creepy Halloween dessert!
Kids love to make this dish as well so if you are having a fun Halloween party, this dessert can be made by them or they can decorate the cake during the party. Its a great way to keep kids entertained and make them feel as though they are a part of the celebration!
During the Halloween season we use a plastic cauldron we got from Amazon (around $12) and it really completes the look! You can also use a pan, deep dish, or other to build your cake recipe.
Be sure to check out our fun Halloween ideas for other ways to entertain kids and adults.
Dirt Cake Recipe Ingredients
- 1 New Plastic Black Cauldron – you can find on Amazon or Dollar Store
- 1 1/2-2 lb. Oreo cookies
- 1 8 oz. tub Cream Cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 Stick Softened Butter
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 2 small pkg. Instant Vanilla or Chocolate Pudding
- 12 oz. Cool Whip
- Mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar and softened butter.
- Mix 3 1/2 cups milk and instant pudding for 2 minutes and add 12 oz. Cool Whip.
- Add the mixtures together.
- Place Oreo cookies in large ziploc bag and crush to desired “dirt” texture with a rolling pin.
- Put 1 1/2 inches of cookie crumbs on the bottom of the cauldron (lined with aluminum foil) and layer the pudding mixture and crumbs. End with pudding mixture. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Just before serving, add 1 more inch of cookie crumbs and decorate with gummy worms, gummy spiders, and other creepy items.