This post may contain affiliate links. See affiliate disclosure here.
Going on a road trip with your partner is a great way to spend some quality time together and get to know each other better. But sometimes, it can be hard to think of things to talk about. That’s why we’ve put together this list of 100 road trip conversation starters for couples!
We hope you find them useful on your next road trip!
100 road trip conversation starters for couples
Why use conversation starters?
Conversation starters can be a great way to break the ice, get to know your partner better, and pass the time on a long road trip. They can also help you avoid dreaded moments of silence! Here are 100 road trip conversation starters for couples that you can use on your next road trip:
Essential Conversation Starters:
- How do you feel about road trip games?
- Do you ever get car sick on road trips?
- How often do you want to stop and eat or rest?
- Does anything make you nervous or uncomfortable on a road trip?
- Are you the driver or passenger on road trips?
- Do you like road trip snacks or do you prefer to stop for meals?
- Do you listen to music, audiobooks, or podcasts on road trips?
- Are there any landmarks or attractions that you always make sure to stop at when they’re along your route?
- What’s your favorite road trip memory?
- Do you have any funny or interesting stories about a road trip gone wrong?
Planning Your Trip:
- Where are you thinking of going on your next road trip?
- What route are you planning to take?
- Paper map or online navigation?
- How long do you want to be on the road for?
- What kind of accommodation do you prefer on road trips – camping, hotels, Airbnbs, etc.?
- Do you like to plan out each day of your road trip in advance or just go with the flow and see what happens?
- Do you prefer at night or during the day only?
- Do you have specific events or historical sites you want to see along the way?
- Do you prefer the car to be warm or cool?
- Are you open to changing plans along the way if something blocks our way to our destination (like bad weather or closed roads)?
Budgeting and Finances:
- Are you saving up for a specific road trip or do you generally budget for travel expenses?
- How much do you typically spend on food and accommodation while on a road trip?
- Do you like to splurge or save when you’re on vacation?
- What are your thoughts on road trip budgets – are they necessary or do they just add extra stress?
- Do you have a final budget for gas and lodging?
- How long does it take you to save for your road trips?
- Do you have a specific vehicle that you use for road trips or do you rent/borrow one?
- What are your must-have items for road trips (e.g. snacks, water, map, first-aid kit)?
- Do you make sure to get your vehicle serviced before long road trips?
- Do you have snow chains or all weather tires on your car?
- How often do you stop for gas or do you let the car’s tank get below 5% fuel?
On the Road:
- Are there any activities that you always make time for on road trips?
- Do you like to stop at rest areas, monuments or just take breaks when you need to?
- How do you pass the time while on road trips?
- What are your thoughts on road trip companions – do you prefer to travel with others or go solo?
- Do you have any tips for avoiding road trip boredom?
- What is your favorite thing to look for while driving?
- Do you like freeways or back roads?
- Do you ever imagine where other people are going?
Funny Questions to Ask:
- What would be your dream road trip destination?
- If you could only listen to one song for the entire road trip, what would it be?
- What’s the silliest thing you’ve ever seen on a road trip?
- Have you had to pull over to use the restroom on the side of the road?
- Would you rather take a bath in warm honey or cold milk?
- Do you have any funny or memorable moments from previous road trips?
- What’s your worst gas station experience?
- What is worse; No toilet paper or no towels?
- Share an embarrassing story from a past road trip.
- Tell a joke or two!
- How would you feel if the driver wore pajamas for a full day of the road trip?
- Do you have any siblings? How many? What were/are they like growing up/now?
- Do you have any pets or want any pets in the future?
- Who is your best friend and how did you meet them?
- What was your favorite childhood toy?
- What’s your favorite video game of all time?
- What’s your favorite movie and why?
- TV show binges: what are some of your all-time favorites?
- What books have you read that you loved?
- How do you feel about nature hikes and road trip picnics?
- Say something nice about the other person.
- Tell a time in which you knew you wanted to be in a relationship.
Deep Conversation Starters:
- How does traveling make you feel?
- Do you think road trips are a good way to bond with someone?
- What are your thoughts on spending long periods of time in the car or away from home?
- Do you find that road trips help you relax or do they just add more stress to your life?
- What do you like most about road trips?
- Do you think they’re worth the effort?
- What are your least favorite things about road trips?
- How do you think road trips will change as you get older?
- How do you feel road trips are better/worse than air travel or train travel?
- Do you have any advice for couples planning their first road trip together?
- What is one thing you would never do on a road trip?
- How do you feel about meeting other couples while on a road trip?
Questions and Starters for couples:
- When did you know that you first liked me?
- What was your first impression of me?
- What’s something you’ve always wanted to tell me but never have?
- If you could change one thing about me, what would it be?
- Do you ever think about how our lives would be different if we had never met?
- What’s your favorite memory of us together?
- If you could describe me in three words, what would they be?
- Do you still believe in love at first sight?
- If we were stranded on a deserted island and could only bring three items with us, what would they be?
- What character from a movie do I remind you of and why?
- If we could instantly be fluent in any language, what would it be?
- What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten and liked?
- Would you rather have superhuman strength or the ability to read people’s thoughts?
- If you could relive one moment from our relationship, what would it be?
- What do you think is the key to a successful relationship?
- Do you think that communication is always important in a relationship, even if it means talking about difficult topics?
- What do you think are some of the most common relationship problems that couples face?
- Do you think that trust is essential in a relationship? Why or why not?
- What do you think are some of the biggest challenges that couples face when road tripping together?
- Do you think that road tripping can be a good way for couples to bond and connect with each other? Why or why not?
- Would you ever consider getting into a relationship with someone with kids?
- How would you feel if one of us were in a coma for a year but knew they would be ok – would you wait?
- If you could live in a movie, which movie would it be?
- Are you a dog, cat, chicken, sheep, or owl kinda person?
- Which country would you move to if you had to move overseas?
- What is the hardest part about telling your secrets to me?
- What is the one thing that makes you feel very vulnerable?
Did you find this list of road trip conversation starters helpful? Let us know in the comments below! And if you’re looking for more road trip tips and ideas, be sure to check out our blog for more posts like this one! Safe travels!